Dotty Background





I'm so glad you're here!

Funny Pictures - Hippo Gifs

Monday, September 5

You want Dimension? You got it.

Greetings Earthlings-

I had fun making this card for the Hambo Hoedown #31 this week. I used the free alien spaceship image that they gave me for participating in last week's hoedown. I also used an older free image I got a while back from them.

The challenge:

This week's challenge is brought to you by ALIEN SPACESHIP (she says in a voice that echoes and resonates throughout space!) from another DIMENSION. That's right! Add some dimension to your project this week - no flat cards! Your creations will be out of this world!

I love dimension, I often fear my cards will be too lumpy for the mail. I see a lot of cards on-line that must be sent in boxes because they are so 'thick' with flowers and bows...



I printed the image twice. On the first one, I colored the planets (asteroids?) and just the outer 1/4 of the perimeter of the spaceship image. Not much of the ship will show when I'm done. I fussy cut the ship and planets from that layer.

On the next layer I colored the spaceship completely then cut it out.

I took a piece of Core’dinations  nightfall (black) card stock and ran it through my Texture Boutique with the swirls folder. I sanded the paper to bring out the lighter core color. I wasn't happy with the darkness of the black when I finished so I took my Prisma colored pencil and colored the black darker.. Then I wasn't happy with the core color - it wasn't bright enough. So I used a white pencil on that portion... Then I finally had the dramatic contrast I was looking for.

I layered the print with the planets and ship on the textured paper, then used foam tape to attach the second image of the spaceship over the first. This added more dimension to the card.





I mounted all this on a bright green card. It just felt wrong not to use a mat behind the image but nothing I tried seemed to look good. Then I used a fine black pen and 'stitched' a border on the card and the sentiment. That made me feel better. :-)

I also outlined the border of the sentiment with a 'lavender' (I think it's more dark purple!) Spica glitter pen*. Then I adhered the sentiment to the card.  I thought it looked a bit dull so I also added Spica glitter pen* to the words. I decided it was time to leave it alone before I messed it up... 

I used Sticko 3D star stickers to liven things up. I also remembered I had a few alien 'buttons' from Favorite Findings that I got on clearance at Michael's and overlapped one on the sentiment.

Still not happy, I added a THICK layer of Glossy Accents to the top dome of the ship and the green lights.

This is one lumpy card but still thin enough for the mail! Yay!

Party on, Wayne

*The SPICA glitter pens from Copic won't flake off and endanger any soldier that will get this card for Operation Write Home.



 

3 comments:

  1. I love your lumpy card, especially how you've combined the two images. Thanks for playing in the Hoedown this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great, I love the black and silver swirls :) Thank you for joining in at the Hoedown this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job! Love your moon!

    Thanks for playing with us at the Hoedown! Hope to see you back this week!

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete

What'za got to say?